Sunday, January 08, 2006

Almost Paradise

One of the more exciting things about our new place is it comes with a parking spot - a covered parking spot. I am (was) particularly excited about this, since at our old building we often got stuck parking under a tree that had lots of birds in it - and lots of birds make lots of poo...on our new white car.

However, there is someone from our building who keeps parking in our parking spot. We haven't even been there a week, and someone (the same car) has parked there twice. Last night it was pouring buckets of rain, and we had to go park out on the street instead of in our nice covered spot.

I was so mad!!! I tried to take the person's windshield wipers off, so they'd have to come back to apologize in order to get them (I saw that in a movie once) but I couldn't figure out how. I wanted to lay a fresh, um, "present" from Sharona on the hood of the car, but that would be bad for neighborly relations.

So I settled for a not-so-nice note on the winshield (the wipers of which I popped into the "out" position to ensure the note would be read) saying that the next time they took my spot I'd have them towed.

This morning, at 8:15 am, they're still there. I checked around with the neighbors, none of whom say its them. I called the police to find out who the owner was, but unfortunately its a rented car. I went to one neighbor to see if he could help (I didn't think it was him, since he has his own space) and I get the feeling he's hiding something. He got really pissed when I told him I've called the police to find out who the owner was and he said that if I wanted all my new neighbors to hate me then that would be the way to do it. That if I would just be patient, in a day or two the person would leave and I could have my spot back. That its no big deal to give up your spot for a few days.

Meanwhile, while I am patient, I get to park on the street during the rain.

I would like to take this opportunity to say hey to Linda, my new across-the-hall neighbor and blog-reader...I know you didn't steal my spot!

Okay, Ra'anana may not have ONLY perfectly nice, happy people, but its still a damn sighte better than J-town.

11 Comments:

Blogger lisoosh said...

He definitely sounds suspicious. It also sounds like he expects that person to keep stealing your spot - very rude. Short of becoming paranoid and maintaining constant surveillance of the spot I'm not sure what you can do.
Sounds like you REALLY like Ranaana though!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds totally frustrating. Sometimes you need a reminder that you do still actually live in Israel :)

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience (also in Raanana, although it wasn't raining). Went round all the neighbors, they all denied it was them, then I called the police and told them there was a suspicious car in my carpark and it didn't belong to anyone and I thought it might be a car bomb (this was just a week after a car in a Hod Hasharon building carpark was found to be carrying a bomb, so i was a bit paranoid).
One of the neighbors also seemed a bit suspicious to me, so I went back to him and asked again if it belonged to him, because I had just called the police and they were on their way. At that point he owned up, couldn't see what the problem was with stealing the park, and couldn't believe I was annoyed enough to have called the police.
Anyway, my advice to you is - why put up with this neighbor's behavior - tell him you're not prepared to wait a day or 2 - that you are paying for this spot, and he can either rent it from you for the next couple of days, or you'll get him towed right now.
If you don't want to speak to him, ask the Va'ad Bayit or your landlord to do it.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely take it to the Vaad Bayit. That's what they are there for.

When are you coming over?

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all your anti-JM and pro-Ra'anana posts me thinks you have lost the right to the title of this blog

12:10 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

Give it time- after you've lived here a while you'll see that there are plenty of insane folk here as well. It sounds like the parking space thief is your not-so-friendly neighbor's houseguest.

I understand your wanting to pull the wipers off- but be careful, you might get more than an apology when the guy comes over. Going to the Vaad Bayit sounds like a good idea.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

What lousy thing to do! Stealing a parking spot is wrong. But perhaps this guy had been parking there for awhile and was not aware you had moved already, by now I'm sure he must've heard.
Don't let your neighbors threaten you, what is yours is yours.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

You know he's just full of it and won't have much of a story to tell the neighbors that would make them hate you.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems you are not aware that Hamas won with getting 73% electoral gain , I would be remiss if I neglected to address aspect of Palestinian attitudes towards Israel as an abrasive occupying power , and the part such attitudes might have played in the elections as well. The question that comes to mind is how much emphasis Palestinians placed on Hamas' not all those who voted for Hamas have any political affinity to Hamas as much as for what Hamas stand for as a change in a political forum .What has Palestinians gained so far from dialogue with Israel from Oslo in 1994 Palestinians support for the Oslo accord was 60% to no avail to date Israel neglected that after 55 years of occupation there is still a Palestinian Identity that wants Israel to honor the UN charter signed 57 years ago at the establishment of the state of Israel ,Israel accepted UN resolutions on conditions of the creation of the state of Palestine and return of the refugees ( it is worth researching them )such was accepted by Israel in connection to its establishment . the creation of the state of Palestine to day is not an Israeli choice but a must .Clearly stated objectives vise a Vi's Israel not delivering any of its commitments to the road map and the likes of other undelivered Israeli agreed treaties .and the Absolute American unconditional backing to Israel 40 American VITOS in 20 years in favor of Israel ,and the Israeli reps to the UN standing up among the middle of the UN assembly taring and throwing the very UN resolutions such an EGO cant go on . In other words, what was the primary factor in deciding how to vote? Were Palestinians voting for Hamas' proven social welfare track record? No they were voting for Hamas' policies regarding how to deal with Israel? I doubt if they voted for social welfare aspect, they voted for someone to fight the Israel daily oppressive -related policies as being a major factor , so to speak. It would be interesting to see such a breakdown, to learn what made people under ugly Israeli occupation vote the way they did, it is the new strategy of Hamas aligned by Hezbollah ,Syria , Iran and all the awakening Islamic brotherhoods ,such would make USA think twice on how to act and what dialogue to approach Hamas and the rest of the Islamic terror holding organisations . understanding that now USA has a conflict of interest , on which issues USA have the greater importance of interests are to be based on ?How long USA can go on supporting the same Israel that spy on them .Now with the Islamic wave winning .The only logic to stop Hamas ,is for Israel to withdraw to 67 documented Israeli committed acceptance of withdrawal .
Such is not only a wining factor for the present Hamas wave but further ,as much as a first step to protect the Greater Israel .It is a 57 seven years of Israeli self denial ,how long the USA support can last .It is not the wining facts of Hamas ,as much it about time for israel to understand it may take another 50 years with Palestine's populations doubling and feelings of a Palestinian Identity growing ,can you sustain another 50 years ,they can .But it is time for the truth ,Withdrawal

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

weird Palistinian reply to the parking issue...

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My God!
Have the car towed- If your neigbors don't understand then they are not good friend candidates.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home