Monday, December 27, 2004

Random Acts of Niceness

Last night B. and I went out to celebrate my "winning the lottery". We went to this small Italian place that I love called Agas V'Tapuach (or Pera e Mela in Italian); the place is homey and friendly and the food is amazing.

I hadn't been there in a while, but the waiter was happy to see me and seated us at a larger table, as there weren't too many others there when we arrived. By the time our food came, however, there was quite a crowd. The waiter approached and said, "I know this is really rude to ask, but would you mind moving to a smaller 2-person table as we need this larger table for some other guests."

Of course we agreed, and moved to a much more intimate table. The people who received our table were really thankful about it, when it was really no big deal. At some point I got up and the man of the family who had gotten our table thanked me again and said he'd like to send over some wine, did we want red or white? I told him it was highly unnecessary, and to just enjoy his dinner.

About a minute later the waiter came over and said, "They really want you to have the wine, I'll send over some red." We accepted it, and thanked them for the wine.

Since were celebrating, B. and I got desserts and everything. When the time came to leave, we asked for the check, but the waiter told us that our bill had been paid already!

We went over to thank the family (grandparents and a granddaughter) for their unnecessary generosity, and they said that they really wanted to eat at Agas V'Tapuach and they wouldn't have been able to unless we'd given them our table and they were so appreciative. B. and I were thinking it was no big deal at all, which it isn't. Then the grandfather said to B. "It was so nice watching you two in love over there. It reminds me of when I was young and courting my wife, if that's what you're doing. And if you aren't courting this woman you should be, because she seems like a lovely young lady." And as they left, the grandfather said, "I hope there'll be a wedding out of you guys."

Yonatan, the owner of Agas V'Tapuach, told us that this family is a very wealthy family, who come to Israel 4 or 5 times a year, and always eat at his restaurant when they come. And when they're in the restaurant, if there's soldiers eating, they pay their bill as well.

It made B. and I feel all warm and fuzzy inside; its nice to be the recipient of a random act of niceness. We told each other that when we're old, and eating in a restaurant and see a young couple in love, we'll return the favor. Pay it forward. When was the last time you did that for someone? Or someone did that for you?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! Not to give you guys an 'ayin horah', but this will make a great story to tell the grandkids! ;-)

~treppenwitz~

6:17 PM  
Blogger lisoosh said...

How absolutely lovely.
I notice you and B talked about what you will do when you are old. That is also lovely.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

That is a very cool story.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Web Log Author said...

That's wonderful. I think it's one of the most wonderful stories I've ever read. Thanks for sharing it!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes such little effort to make the world a better place - those Americans at the restaurant really inspired me.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home