Monday, December 13, 2004

Stars Wars

I am one of the 17 people over the age of 21 who has never seen any of the Star Wars movies.

Or at least I was, until yesterday.

I'm not sure how I managed to never see it as a child. My family was pretty religious, didn't go to movies much, and I was never a big TV watcher. Also, as a child, I lacked the patience to sit in one place for 2 hours watching an inanimate object.

By the time I reached adulthood, it was sort of an identity for me. I was the woman who had never seen Star Wars. In fact, it became my fallback second date topic of conversation. In the event that conversation was lagging, or if I wanted to gauge a man's attraction to me, I would somehow work into the conversation the fact that I had missed a major influential part of the 1980's. Inevitably, the conversation would become:
Guy: "I can't BELIEVE you've never seen that movie"
Me: "Yup - I missed it"
Guy: "But everyone has seen at least the first one!"
Me: "Not me - but as a child I had 'Empire Strikes Back' bedsheets, so in a sense, I've slept with all the characters from the movie."
- and then, this was how I knew a guy liked me -
Guy: "Well, WE have to watch that movie together"

The thing is, I never found a guy who was "worth" my Star Wars virginity. I was saving myself.

That is, until I met B., a self-confessed Star Wars geek, who played a hearty round of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit with several others at my place last week (ultimately Chayyei Sarah beat all the boys by a huge amount - but that's because she is a cool chyck). I promised B. he could be The One to view Star Wars with me.

After Treppentwitz's post about the significance of the 5th night of Chanuka, B. and I decided that yesterday would be the day to relieve me of my ignorance. Additionally, yesterday was our second 'monthiversary' - two great months of dating. So the time had come.

I actually enjoyed the movie, but perhaps that was because of my viewing partner(s). Sharona, my dog, snuggled comfortably between us - she and B. get along great. I know it must be love if I didn't mind B. reciting half the lines of the movie along with the characters; in fact, I found it rather endearing. His excitement was so cute - except for perhaps the part where Darth Vader uses "The Force" to choke one of the other members of the Senate to prove the power of The Force, and B., made fake choking noises about 2 seconds before it happened onscreen, and I, in my nurse's mindset, thought he was choking on the popcorn and began performing the Heimlich maneuver.

I wondered aloud what would become of my second date conversation - without my "routine", what would happen if conversation lacked? And B. said ...

3 Comments:

Blogger Gilly said...

I presume that B has the set of videos / DVDs but if not you are more than welcome....

12:00 PM  
Blogger tafka PP said...

And then B said...

12:42 PM  
Blogger NG said...

Aha!!

One down, sixteen to go!

I am 23 and have never seen any of the Star Wars movies. Unlike you, however, I grew up watching movies and television all the time, making my feat all the more impressive.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

NG

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home