Saturday, February 05, 2005

A hair in his mouth

Last night Bryan and I were eating Shabbat dinner at a friend's house. At some point Bryan leaned over and said, "Oh my, there's a hair in my mouth - a long one. I sure hope its your hair and not someone else's." And when he pulled it out, there was a sigh of relief and he said, "Babe if there had to be a hair in my mouth - I'm glad its yours."

I think that basically sums up the new level I think our relationship has taken since getting engaged. Bryan and I both agree that even though we knew we were getting engaged, actually getting engaged totally elevated what we have. The fact that there is a person in this world, who said the sentence, "Whoa - thank g-d that was your hair in my mouth" is to describe a feeling of love and closeness like I have never experienced.

My last posting was all about the details of the proposal, but I left out the emotions I was feeling - on purpose, because when I wrote that last posting, the emotions were still fully developing, as the shock of getting engaged was wearing off.

I always imagined I would cry when Bryan proposed. But I was in such shock, I could barely answer yes. Things never happen when you expect them; Thursday, while walking the dog, the tears started flowing openly. I cannot believe how lucky I am to have met Bryan. How lucky I am to have met a man who recognized me as his soul mate, and who didn't play games or waste time, who makes me feel like I am a princess, and who treats me with such respect and love, that it makes me want to be a better person - to become a person worthy of Bryan.

"Will you marry me?"

That one sentence was the most powerful statement uttered to me. Imbued in those four words was the thing I never thought I'd hear --

"I choose you above all other people out there in the world. I'm placing my bets on you. I want to build a life with you and there is no one I would rather wake up next to in 50 years, no one I would rather partner a family with, no one I would rather love than you."

You can see why the tears flowed freely. And in my barely managing to whisper that one word to Bryan, "Yes," I was telling him, "In my eyes you are perfect. No matter what happens over the next 50, 60 or (please god) 70 years, you are the one I want by my side. Whatever curveballs life throws our way, I want you to be my batsman. I think you have such wonderful qualities as a person that I choose you as the future father of my kids, in the hopes that some of what makes you so special will rub off onto them."

I don't know if y'all have ever read bridal mgazines, but for the girls, you may understand the temptation of reading them. I refused to ever buy one, until I was engaged. I felt like it was a jinx, some right reserved only for the betrothed. Anyway, I finally went out a bought a few yesterday. One of the had an advertisement in it with the following phrase, "To love someone is to see a miracle to which everyone else is blind."

And I thank G-d every day that Bryan sees the miracle in me that no one else (not even I) can see.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to say mazel tov.
I hope all your dreams come true.
It's so nice to share your happiness and your love through the blog.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm weeping like a sentimental fool, after reading the engagement story of a perfect stranger. I suppose it's because eventhough you're a stranger, your thoughts aren't strange to me. I wish you the best, and hope I'll one day be blessed with what you have, because it's certainly nothing to be taken for granted.
So mazal tov and good luck.

Hatshepsut (aka Maria)

2:12 PM  
Blogger lisoosh said...

Awwwwww! This just made me want to cry - in a nice way.

By the way, when I lived in Jerusalem I worked at the Sheraton Plaza organizing weddings. It was a few years ago so I don't have the contacts I used to have around the city to help swing discounts but if you need any inside info on locations please feel free to ask.

Lisa

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off I wanted to wish you and Bryan a Big Mazal Tov. This feeling of being in a situation of feeling so content and so right is just wonderful. I wish you both much osher va osher in your future lives together - Ad 120!

4:55 PM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Beautiful post--best of luck.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Adriana Bliss said...

What a wonderful and sweet story of love and hope for the future. Something amazing still lies in the traditional question, "Will you marry me?"

I laughed when my husband asked me - it IS a shock!

Congratulations to you both.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home