Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Double entendre?

Although my hebrew is fairly decent (and earned me passing the Hebrew University fluency exam by 2 points at 76%) I very often come across words that are totally new.

One such word is puncher - pronounced exactly as it looks. Now, most of you will know that it means a flat tire. Not sure about the etymology of the word, since its obviously derived from English in some way, but whatever.

However, yesterday I learned that it has another meaning - a puncher is the slang (though not altogether derogatory) term for an unplanned pregnancy. I have yet to find out if it applies to the child born of such a pregnancy (if that is the route chosen for dealing) or if it simply refers to the unplanned pregnancy itself, whether its continued or not.

This term disturbs me, and I have spent the past 2 days trying to figure out what the connection is between a flat tire and an unplanned pregnancy. Why use the same term? Using the exact same word for 2 seemingly unrelated hebrew concepts/objects is not a new thing in hebrew, but usually when you look for a connection you can find one. I can't think of any really great examples right now, but the hebrew word/root for counting ( l'saper) is very similar to the hebrew word for cutting.

But the flat tire/unplanned pregnancy thing is a mystery. I've decided it comes down to the "Oh Sh*t" factor - its probably the first phrase uttered out of the mouth of anyone who discovers they have a flat tire, as well as anyone who discovers that they're pregnant and didn't mean to be. Granted, dealing with a flat tire is a lot more simple than an accidental pregnancy - but there they are, they are both accidents. If anyone else can come up with a better connection, feel free to share.

Now, I've never experienced the "oh sh*t" factor - neither with respect to a flat tire nor an accidental knock-up. However (if you've read this far down/are still reading my blog after months of no postings - here comes your reward) I have recently experienced the "holy crap" factor of finding out that you are pregnant when you wanted to be!!

So I'll let that be my explanation for the paucity of postings - I'm pregnant and between the nausea and the total exhaustion (which I am thankfully passing/past) blogging took a back burner. Housework took a back burner. Cooking dinner took a back burner - hell, just swallowing a bite or two of dinner was a rough chore for a while.

Also, I've discovered my blogging stinks when I have no drama in my life - or in this case, there was plenty of drama but none I was willing to share with the blogosphere yet. Plus, we hadn't gotten around to telling some of the friends who we think would be pretty mad if they found out through the blog [if this is you, I am terribly sorry - we'll name the kid after you].

We're due in August, we have no idea what we're having, I haven't gained a pound yet, thank god all is well, thanks for asking - and no, this baby isn't a puncher!

The more "blog-gy" aspect for me will be how becoming a mom will affect my life, my world views, my relationships with my husband and family, and my relationships with my friends.

One thing I've discovered about friends is this - its really easy to be a good friend when something bad/sad happens to a friend. Its a lot harder to be a good friend when something good happens to them (particularly when things aren't going great for you). I have a couple sets of friends going through fertility difficulties right now, and I really was worried about sharing my news with them. One set (you know who you are) reacted really wonderfully - I don't know how hard it was for them, but I really felt like they were happy for me. And I so appreciate it. Because I have other friends who haven't reacted as well - not necessarily because they have fertility issues, but because they are having other personal issues or simply can't make be happy for me. And I'm trying not be hurt, or be too distanced, though obviously that may be inevitable, because I know its not personal. But I really appreciate the friends that have reacted positively, even if it is difficult for them, because I see now how hard it really is, and it makes me thankful to have such friends.

Anyway, I promise this blog will not become a place where I regale readers with tales of bodily functions/fluids that should not be made public. I really hate when seemingly normal people become parents and suddenly start sending out mass emails (with pics, natch) about the size and color of their son's "productions"...

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

B'sha'ah tovah!

And I was always under the impression that puncher (at least the first definition) came from "puncture."

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I am not even a friend of yours (just a reader) but I am so thrilled for you! B'sha'ah Tova. Hope you continue to feel well.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Noa said...

anon- interesting - perhaps the "puncture" applies to the tire and the condom/diaphragm???

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations.

I was thinking along the same lines as noa: punctured tyre = punctured condom

If you are pregnant there is a blog you might find interesting. www.dooce.com.
You might know it already. A large part of it is about how motherhood affected her life. She's American, funny, a former Mormon and a tiny bit crazy.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Mazel tov (again). I too am pregnant... with a food baby. I'll see if I can deliver around the same time as yours. My gut is a different kind of flat tire!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about the connection -- accidents, and the slang term is derived from "puncture."

A "puncher" does not JUST mean a flat tire in Hebrew slang. The slang word is derived from a flat tire, but it has been widened to mean some unexpectedly thing that happened to you that messed up your plans LIKE a flat tire (and often, like a flat tire made you late.)

So if someone says, "I was late to the meeting because I had a "puncture" ("cara li puncture") -- it COULD literally mean you had a flat tire....or it could ALSO mean that the Xerox machine in the office suddenly broke and you couldn't make copies of the reports for the meeting, or it could mean that they were fixing the elevators and you had to walk down 22 flights of stairs, or you were driving spilled coffee all over yourself and had to go home and change...get it?

Now in this context, a surprise pregnancy is a "puncher." Oops, malfunction, something went wrong...pills didn't work...it was the wrong time of the month but it happened anyway.

I don't know if you've been watching the series "Emele" on Channel 2 about an unexpected pregnancy, but when people asked the heroine what she was going to name the baby, she said, "Fadicha." (another slang work for f--k - up)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Toto said...

Mazal Tov! B'shaa tova....

Also not really a friend, but I have been checking to see if and when you were going to post again! Glad I didn't give up! ;)

I'm thinking the puncher is also related to Puncture. As for the relationship between the tire and the pg, I'm thinking that when you get a tire puncher, it's a nail going through the tire, when you get pg, it's the sperm getting through? who knows?

Either way, feel good and enjoy the pregnancy!!!

~Susie

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besha'ah Tovah!!

If you would like to browse through my pregnancy library collection feel free to be in touch.

Your friend in Raanana
Karen

9:44 PM  
Blogger treppenwitz said...

Woohoo! B'Sha'ah Tovah! Hey, wait a sec... I had to find out about this on your blog!!! :-( Just kidding.

Oh, and that is exactly the connection between the words... they both refer to a puncture - of a tire or a condom.

10:07 PM  
Blogger ifyouwillit... said...

I smiled when I saw the "updated" notice next to your link on my blogroll, and it is a really great post. Bsh'ah Tovah!

Allison and Noa put forward very logical liguistic cases, I like them both.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Jeru Guru said...

Mazaltov!

Wonderful news :)

9:03 AM  
Blogger JJ said...

B'shaa tova, that's great news!

And may I recommend Beilinson Hospital in Petach Tikva for the birth- had 2 of my kids there, the staff was great, they redecorated a few years ago so it looks good, too- 2 women in each room with a private bathroom (my other kid was born in Hasharon Hospital- everyone shared the bathroom down the hall. It sucked.)

Meir Hospital is much closer, of course, but I know several Raanana women who chose not to go there. My own doctor told me not to go there, said it wasn't the best place.

Glad you're feeling better :-)

3:02 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

B'Sha'ah Tovah! Not surprising news, but very excellent ones. :)

5:23 PM  
Blogger tafka PP said...

I wondered the other day when you would choose to share this news with the Blogosphere...

6:00 PM  
Blogger lisoosh said...

Yay, yay, yay, hooray from an internet friend.

That's the best news ever. First was the dream job, then the dream husband and now the baby - trifecta. (tfu tfu tfu). Congratulations and b'hatzlacha.

Aren't those first few months of the first pregnancy a killer? Everyone tells you what it will be like but you never really get it till the day you wake up and feel like a truck hit you - a nice truck though.

Enjoy the time. I'm looking forward to hearing all the details.

10:01 PM  
Blogger WBS said...

B'sha'ah tovah!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Avi said...

Excellent! Besha'ah Tovah!!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many congratulations to the both of you. New babies are the BEST news.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Avi said...

מזל טוב

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beshaa Tovah - really wonderful news.
Its funny but they never tell you exactly how shitty pregnancy can be ( or maybe they do tell you but in a jokey manner which makes you think they are exagerating).

Puncher - hole in condom being parrallel to hole in tire.

Anyway - wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy

10:23 PM  
Blogger Rahel Jaskow said...

That's wonderful news! Be-sha'ah tovah!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey R. Woolf said...

B'Sha'ah Tovah!

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home