Sunday, July 11, 2004

For Some The Years Go By So Fast

And for others, they go by super slow. Case in point:

Today my mother told me that my adorable, favorite (and only) niece Adina said her first *bad* word. [I put bad in ironic highlights because as my eigth grade English teacher Dr. Smerd once said, "There's no such thing as a bad word. Its only the meaning society attributes to it."] Apparently (being the only grandchild on both sides, she's quite spoiled) when she doesn't want to do something she's asked to do she says "NO WAY!". Today my mom asked her if she wanted to go on the potty. Her answer? "NO WAY IN HELL!!" Now where did she learn that from? Mind you, she's not even 3 yet.

D., my erstwhile boyfriend, told me with great pride just now that I was wrong. If he washes his underwear in the sink, and hangs them on a fan to dry overnight, they WILL be dry in the morning. Then he proceeded to mention something about "his office", which made me giggle. D., is a lawyer, has a fairly decent post in the military as an officer, and yet still manages to get to the point where he has absolutely no underwear left such that he must wash them in the sink and air dry them on a fan.

Yes, some people never do grow up. I'm ashamed to mention D.'s age here. Suffice it to say he was born in the 70's.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gilly said...

Could she have learned it from her auntie?! :)

Age has gone nothing to do with it. Men!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We seem to have vocabulary and tense problems in this post:

1. erst·while
adv.
In the past; at a former time; formerly.

2. "D...told me with great pride just now..."

The word 'erstwhile' and the word 'now' seem to be in direct conflict... especially with the introduction of undergarments into the conversation.

I'm just saying...

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, I hate when people post anonymously...so:

*Today's grammer lesson was brought to you by the folks at treppenwitz!*

10:28 AM  
Blogger Noa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Noa said...

Treppenwitz....could it be that "erstwhile" modifies the term boyfriend, while the conversation took place "just now" (in South African dialect [which I spoke during the early, formative years of my life] just now can mean anywhere from 3 seconds to 20 years), and the undergarments in question were not seen and merely discussed???

If we're gonna get nitpicky....as a former editor I will outnitpick you

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK...UNCLE! :-)

David
www.treppenwitz.com

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home