Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Engagement Eye

I am having trouble writing this posting, as my pupils are currently dilated to the point that you cannot tell what color my eyes are. Forgive the typos.

For the past week or so my eyes have been itchy, watery and totally bloodshot when I wake up in the morning. Over the course of the day the redness subsides, but I cannot get my contact lenses in my eye, which is a shame, because I look like crap and even younger than I already appear, when I wear glasses.

I decided to take advantage of the fact that I spend the majority of the day in a hospital and popped over to the ophthalmology clinic to solve my eye issues. God bless professional courtesies, they took me right away, without an appointment.

Anyway, the doctor who saw me, a lovely Mexican immigrant, brought over a second doctor to look at my eyes, another Mexican lad. The second doctor proceeded to ask me if I could read medical Hebrew and English (which I can), and then gave me another patient's chart to translate. He was so excited to have me in there - most other english/hebrew speakers aren't allowed to view the chart, due to patient confidentiality, but as a nursing student and hospital employee, I have already signed the confidentiality agreement.

In the end, they brought over the department head, an American women who made aliyah with Nefesh B'Nefesh, just like me, and recognized me from the video. She diagnosed me with this weird condition whereby the undersides of my eyelids are bumpy and rash-like, which is why my eyes are reddest when i wake up - they've spent the whole night rubbing agianst the bumpy eyelids. She the asked me, "Are you engaged or getting engaged soon? Because we see this condition all the time in engaged people!"

How the heck did she know? I didn't say a thing and there are no indications on my personage. She said that people getting engaged (particularly during exam time, which is now for me) often stay up late working out pre-wedding issues, wear their contact lenses too long, are stressed out and get this bumpy eyelid thing.

The funny thing is, B. has the exact same eye problem right now - I figured it was some sort of contagious illness, but it turns we have...Engagement Eye. Yup, you heard it here first, my new medical term.

4 Comments:

Blogger lisoosh said...

You weren't wearing your ring?

5:14 PM  
Blogger lisoosh said...

I'm actually very impressed that you can deal with the terminology in Hebrew.
My degree is in Human Physiology and when I lived in Israel I went to Hebrew U ostensibly to do my Masters and eventually my PhD. Admittedly, at the time I had only finished Gimmel but I couldn't understand a damn thing, and this was in revision courses! That's why I ended up in the hotel industry.

5:17 PM  
Blogger tafka PP said...

Who Knew?! How Funny.

Hope all is better in time for the pics!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Noa said...

I must be honest, Lisa. I wrote this post over a month ago, before Bryan and I were actually engaged, but when we knew it was imminent. I only activated it now, because sadly, engagement eye returned with a vengeance. So I didn't have an engagement ring yet. Which made this doctor's diagnosis all the more brilliant!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home