Monday, August 16, 2004

Six O'clock News

So, my parents (and Mia) arrived last week. I've gotten a few emails wondering why I hadn't blogged yet and the answer is that I've been so busy taking care of everyone that I haven't had a free minute.

Here are the updates:

* My parents arrived and began stressing me out almost immediately. They seemed to be unaware of the fact that they had an apartment rented for them, beds, a refrigerator, food and ice in said refrigerator, dog food in the dog food bowl and so on. They were aware of what was missing however....

* The family pets Penny (a 5 year old medium-large dog) and Nikki (a 7 year old white overweight cat) also made aliyah. They seem to be adjusting, Penny far more than Nikki. Penny loves her new fenced in yard, and she seems to be getting along with Sharona, my teeny little dog. Sharona has actually become a total bully towards Penny and Nikki. I think she's like the Israeli kid who comes to visit his American cousins and beats the crap out of all of them.

* I was on TV last Wednesday night, Channel 2. The story was a follow up to the stories they did on me when I was making aliyah, 2 years ago. They filmed me at the airport greeting my parents, then came to my parents house to interview them, since they wanted some quotes from them. But since my folks don't speak Hebrew they couldn't be in the studio, on live TV like I was, since they had to add subtitles in Hebrew to my parents bit.

My phone kept ringing because apparently Channel 2 was running my story and clips as the teasers to the 6 o'clock news, so people kept calling to say they'd seen me on TV.

Then I went to the Channel 2 studios in Neve Ilan, got my makeup done. I looked fabulous, if I may say so myself. Snaps to Keren, the makeup artist, who made me look beautiful and natural. On TV it looked like I had no makeup, just that I was born with flawless skin and perfectly colored eyes, lips and cheeks. If anyone needs a makeup artist for a special occasion, I took her card.

Then I met Oded, the newscaster. I didn't recognize him (I don't watch TV) but he was very friendly. I sat in the studio with him, at the desk, and listened while he did the other news. It was rather funny being able to read the teleprompter and see how it all works.

After about 15 minutes they came to my story. First they ran the clips of me greeting my parents at the airport. Then Oded interviewed me live, in Hebrew, for a while, while I talked about my life, and what it was like meeting my parents at the airport. Then they ran some clips of interviews I had done 2 years earlier, when I explained my motivation for making aliyah, and my hopes for my klitah. Of course, those clips were in English and subtitled.

I was so proud that after only 2 years I could appear on live television in Hebrew. After they ran the old clips, Oded asked me what had changed and happened over the past 2 years. So I said, "Well, firstly, right now I am talking in Hebrew, and back then I could only talk in English!" I was also proud to be able to tell them how I had managed to keep myself very gainfully employed since arrival, and that only a week earlier I had found out I was accepted to the most prestigious nursing school in the country!

Of course, at the very end, I made a Hebrew mistake, which I think added character and authenticity to the show. I was explaining about my parents thoughts and fears, and I said "When I arrived I was also mafchida" (scary). Obviously I meant to say "Hifchaditi" (I was scared). Oded then said "You're not scary! You're anything but scary! Maybe you were scared but definitely not scary."

* I am loving having my dear friend Mia here as my new roomate and as a new olah! She is such a wonderful person, and a nurse to boot, so having her around will be even more wonderful. She is one of the most inspirational people I know, and living with her will only help me a better, kinder person.

I know more stuff is going on...including more D. updates, but this post is already too long!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gilly said...

Good going Noa! I would have loved to have seen you!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home