Thursday, August 05, 2004

What Happens to A Dream Deferred?

You know what? I don't want to know. Because I'm going for mine.

So, here's the scoop. Yesterday morning, I called the OSS lady to see what happened. She said "Good news! You've been accepted." I thought the committee was supposed to be deciding whether they could accept my application, not me. I didn't realize I would know so quickly.

I must have asked the OSS lady 10 times...
Me: "So, I've been accepted to the school"
OSS Lady: "Yes, to the school of nursing"
Me" "The Hadassah Hebrew University School of Nursing?"
OSS Lady: "The very same. We'll send you an official letter tomorrow"
Me: "So I can take this letter and then go register for classes with it?"
OSS Lady: "Yes"
Me: "And I'll be a student...because I've been accepted?"

You get this picture.

Next up, I had to tell my boss I was leaving!

Surprisingly, she was very nice about it. In light of our conversation last week she wasn't shocked that I was moving on. She was shocked that it was to go back to school. Particularly to nursing. Though after a few seconds, she said she was really happy for me because she thought that nursing was really my true calling. She offered me a generous severance package (really nice because I wasn't fired, I quit) and I offered to stay on until she found someone to replace me. She asked me to stay until Rosh Hashana (mid-September) which would give me a month off before classes started. Not too bad.

And...I just got a phonecall from Channel 2 (in Israel) and I'll be on tonight at 6:00 pm!! When I first arrived here 2 years ago, I was on TV a lot. The media seemed to love my young, idealistic Zionism, my get-up-and-go (since I literally got up and went) and probably my shoddy Hebrew. I did lots of live interviews in Hebrew, but its been almost 1.5 years since my last real interview.

During the pre-interview on the phone they seemed pleased that my Hebrew has improved, that I finally got my driver's license and that I had great news to share with them about nursing school and that my parents are making aliyah in less than a week!

So...tape me!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Noa, I'm so happy for you!

Sarah
Chayyeisarah.blogspot.com

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home